Friday, February 29, 2008

Ribbit

Which I almost called Rubbit, but a) that would have been a second level pun, when even the first (which I used), is pushing it, and b) what is it about sexual puns, lately? They keep occurring to me... time to go immerse myself in the mind-deadening riches of the Net, I think.

Anyway -- Ribbet, because of the Google logo today, which is because it's Leap Day. Everyone born today just got one year older....and will now be in stasis for the next three years. There's a word you don't often get to use. Wonder if we'll ever have functional cryogenics as a method of life extension? Did I even spell that right?

I'm in the living room, listening to the bleed over of my mother's television -- one of the side effects of having her and her failing auditory capabilities; its a small price, and it doesn't happen often. My wife is in the library (the 10x10 bedroom that we call that; one time a friend was over, asked where she was, and when I said that, replied that he would wait till she got out). I wanted to send her a piece of text I'd found, so I went to ping her on the Google instant message system (which isn't all that great, but hey, its free). She hadn't powered up the laptop yet, so I shouted in 'You're off line!'... and only a moment later thought what a weird phrase to say to someone. A long time ago, I sent an email to the doctor who isn't really a friend, and she forwarded it to her husband's email. At the time, I thought how odd, but now it seems perfectly normal to have personal dueling emails.

This morning I wrote a little tiny bit of Visual Basic code, which pleases me. And I mean tiny; about four lines. But it was something that I wanted -- I extract my credit card bill, and categorize it to put into Quicken. Gee, I thought, it would be nice to be able to run a macro on this and have it categorize for me, at least the recurring stuff. And so I did. Not exactly trivial, given that the last time I touched VB was about seven years ago, and it occurs to me now that using a sorted lookup table would have been more efficient, but what the heck. This is it, incidentally:

Sub ScanCreditCard()
Columns("D:D").Select
Do
..If InStr(ActiveCell.Value, "Amazon") Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Value = "Misc Exp"
..If InStr(ActiveCell.Value, "SHEETZ") Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Value = "Automobile"
..If InStr(ActiveCell.Value, "Giant") Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Value = "Groceries"
..If InStr(ActiveCell.Value, "CVS") Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Value = "CVS"
..If InStr(ActiveCell.Value, "BORDERS") Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Value = "Books & Magazines"
..ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
..Loop Until IsEmpty(ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0))
End Sub

Got more categories to add, of course...but isn't that fun? I think it is.

No comments: