Friday, September 21, 2007

Drilling and Patching and Painting, Oh My

I tried twice to patch the hole left in the drywall where the anchor bolt pulled out, with no luck. It's not exceptionally big -- about half an inch across -- but apparently, thats big enough so that even when it dries, the patch plug just pops right into the hollow opening beyond. So, I figured that Bob Villa was channeling to me to Use The Bigger One, Bill -- and thats what I'm doing. Specifically, I bought some toggle bolts, and once I'm done sanding down the areas where I patched, I'll put the toggle bolts through the holes. Heck with trying to fill them.

Is there a catch? Of course there is. Two, in fact.

For one, with toggle bolts, it only gets used once. If you unscrew the bolt, the wings fall into the hollow opening, you swear, and then you get to go buy more. But, that's expected.

For two, last night I put some patching compound over the apparently fine anchor bolt sockets on the other side, thinking that I wasn't going to use them. Once this brainstorm hit, I thought 'Well, hell...' ...and scraped off the patch. I think it'll work.

Isn't this fun?

No comments: