Monday, September 17, 2007

Diverse Homogeneity

From a Time magazine article on the building of the Dreamliner:

"Bair says the 787 has been a more complicated management process because Boeing doesn't have day-to-day inside control but says the diversity of cultural perspective and expertise has strengthened the team (my emphasis)."

Boy, would I love to believe that. Personally, I suspect that some diversity of perspective is useful, but homegeneity is more so. My gut feel: 90% homeogeneity, 10% diversity, is about right. (Yeah, I know you can't actually orchestrate that.) You need to know what to expect from your coworkers, and what they expect of you, and thats more important than learning a different set of expectations and deliverables with each new culture. But you can't think that your way MUST be the best way, either -- because it isn't, always -- and that awareness is what the diversity brings you.

So, 90%/10% .

Is that parochial of me?

No comments: