Saturday, September 29, 2007

The L Word

One of the things that I don't know how to make is lasagna.

Part of it is that my taste for lasagna is not as great as my wife's, her family's, or most people's. I like it, but I only like a little, not a lot. I can't think of a good analogy; the closest I can put it is that if I made lasagna, I'd want it to be just enough to be completely consumed in one sitting by three people who weren't ravenously hungry. Not to say I don't like leftovers, but I don't want to look in the refrigerator and see two thirds, or even a third, of a tray of it sitting there for days on end. Whassamatter, Bill, you don't like us any more?

This recipe, from here, looks interesting... and yes, I know its not real lasagna. Gotta ease into this!

Italian Apple Cream Lasagna

9 oven ready lasagna noodles
1/3 cup of butter
6 Granny Smith apples- peeled, cored and sliced
1/3 cups of packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of toasted, chopped pecans
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 package of light cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of Whipping cream, whipped
1/2 cup of fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup of granulated sugar


Place the noodles in a 11 x 7 inch baking dish, cover with warm water and soak 20 minutes. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add apples, cover and cook 10 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tbsp. brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; set aside. Place cream cheese and remaining brown sugar in large bowl. Beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture in thirds and set aside. Melt remaining butter. In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, sugar and melted butter. Spread half of the apple mixture in bottom of same baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles. Spread with half of cream cheese mixture, and layer with 3 more noodles. Spread with remaining apple mixture and layer with last three noodles. Top with remaining cream mixture and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 305ºF for 30 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings. Source: Primo Family Favourites

(Note - I'm thinking maybe that temperature is a typo that really ought to be 350. Not sure, though.)

2 comments:

Rach said...

OMG I did not just hear you say you didn't love lasagna leftovers. I'm seriously salivating right now, just thinking about lasagna. Yum! You can send your leftovers this way, if you wish. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

No problemo...though THIS recipe, leftovers might not be a problem anyway...