Monday, September 17, 2007

AppleSoft

I'm not contemplating a new PC any time soon, but I found this article from the Wall Street Journal, written by a guy who is contemplating making his next PC a Mac, interesting. While the letters he cites are mostly people switching from PCs to Macs, a few go in the other direction, or upgrade their current Windows PCs -- which he says reflects the flow of letters he received from an earlier article on the same subject. Some of the pro-Mac stuff sounds like 'drink the kool-aid', but not much. Its intriguing.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Hi. You wrote a lovely comment on my blog saying you were sorry about my father, which I really appreciate. Thanks a lot. My dad was great and died one month shy of his 85th birthday, missing the party I had planned. By the way, if you like to bake, try my orange sponge cake. It's different - not very sweet, sort of flat, but it really tastes great and is a little different.

Ironically, I switched to MAC from a PC in June. I started small to see if I liked it, getting the new MacBook, but am planning to get the just-released iMac in a month or so. I'm a real convert; would never go back. It's easy to use, and the support is truly amazing.

Cerulean Bill said...

I suspect that the ideology between the two is less than it was. I know - sigh - that if I were to get a Mac, it wouldn't make me any cooler, or any thinner, and 'how to do things' wouldn't be particularly user-obvious to me. I suspect that there would be things that I can do, and like to do, in Windows that are not possible -- or, at the best, not easy, and maybe not recommended -- with a Mac.

So it comes down to: then why? And the best I can think of is that phrase: "It Just Works". Well, my Windows PC does, too -- but someday, I'll have to contemplate Vista, and I find that irritating. I don't like at all what I've heard of that operating system, and its enough that if the operating system hasn't changed when that time comes, I'll be amenable to making the jump to Mac.

I appreciate your comments -- all of them.