Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Real Thing

My wife tells the story about when she was young, and staying home from school because she was sick. Her father offered to make tomato soup for her, and she agreed, but when he'd finished rendering down the tomatos, and seasoning the resulting soup, she grimaced at the taste. This isn't REAL tomato soup, she said; surprised, he replied that of course it was -- she'd seen him make it herself. Which was when he learned that REAL tomato soup comes out of a can with the Campbell's label on it.

I'm about to make the chocolate pudding I alluded to earlier. It's been a desire of mine for quite some time to be able to make a thick, rich chocolate pudding -- not a mousse, but better than what you get from a packet with the JELL-O Instant Pudding label on it. Yet I know that when I taste it, my first thought will not be 'is it good?' but 'is it better than JELL-O ?' I imagine that instinctive comparison is of some comfort to the Kraft people.

Some years ago, I made a cake not as I usually do -- not that I do it all that often -- but using a mix, and, as I remarked to my wife afterward, 'You know, thats not half bad -- and a lot easier than doing it from scratch. I guess thats why people buy that stuff, huh?' It wasn't quite on the same level as realizing why it's bright in the east, every morning -- but it wasn't that far off, either.

She, being an inherently nice person, just smiled.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Now that I am into "Amish Friendship" starter, I make my cakes from scratch. They are moist and heavy, more like a quick bread. My family has not complained yet that they haven't had a boxed white cake in a few months, but I am sure that is coming.
Little do they know that they are getting zucchini, or pears, or whatever fruit/vegetable combo that I have lying around the kitchen into them. I love to be sneaky like that.

Molly Jane said...

Bill, let me share a little secret with you. Jello Cook n' Serve pudding with 2% or whole milk rocks the pants off of instant. Just in case you need a quick fix...always does the trick for me.

Cerulean Bill said...

I totally like Amish Friendship bread. The neighbor who gave it to us said that it was the culinary equivilent of a chain-letter, which it would be Death to Break...or something. but it's seriously good, even with zucchini in there. Pears sound especially appetizing. Of course, we have some starter lurking in the kitchen...

Molly, are you trying to kill my budding kitchen chops? (g) Seriously, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Molly Jane said...

Bill, as a budding kitchenista myself, I'd never do that. But it doesn't hurt to have a back up. But coconut milk? That sounds insanely good...and high in cholesterol. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Possibly. But its not something I have too often, so I don't think its a big deal.