Monday, September 10, 2007

Abort

So there I am, lying on the gurney, got the hospital robe on, cute little elastic socks, little hair net. Nurse is taking some notes. Asked if I'd taken any drugs today; nope, you said not to, so I didn't. What about yesterday? Well -- yeah. You didn't say anthing about that. Take any aspirin? Yeah, I take a baby one (81 milligrams) every night. Really? She goes and finds the two surgeons. The oral surgeon says No problem for me; I do surgery like that all the time. But the plastic surgeon says Hmm...well, taking aspirin reduces the likelihood of clotting, which means you're more likely to bleed.... and you're going to be having bone cut, which bleeds anyway. So theres a higher risk factor for extended bleeding. Its not a big risk, but it is there.

And then he asks: what do you want to do?

What do I want to do? Isn't this a medical question? Aren't you the medical guy? So we talk a little more, and finally I said 'This isn't to correct a life-threatening condition. It can wait. The bleeding is a risk factor that can be eliminated. Let's reschedule.' He starts nodding. 'Good idea. ' How long should I knock off the aspirin, I ask. Well, he hedges, it affects platelet function. And a platelets life is about ten days to two weeks. So, I'd say, two weeks.

Two weeks? And if I'd told that nurse 'why no, I didn't take aspirin last night', that'd have been the end of the discussion. And then I'd be knocked out right now, and we'd be under way.

Instead ....we get to do it again. Some other day, probably three to four weeks from now. Just because they never thought to ask if I, like thousands of other, take aspirin as a prophylactic measure.

I am so ticked.

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

True. And thats what he said -- after I had said to delay it. But he did tell me an interesting story about a woman who was a surprise bleeder as a result of taking aspirin that he didn't know about, so that was kind of fun.