Saturday, September 15, 2007

COOL!

The weather, that is -- about 62 degrees right now, with a high around 70, and tonight down to 47. This is excellent September weather -- good for long bike rides along country lanes, of which we actually have several in this area. And lets not forget hot apple cider and all of that. So, cool!

Not so cool was the poll that I put in here a few days ago -- I got just one response (guess who), which surprised me. I didn't believe those people who say that putting polls and lists on your site will drive people to the site -- its got to be about content -- but still, I was a little surprised by the total lack of response. Granted, the question's subject was a little lame, and not something I normally care about -- but its quite the hot topic in some circles. Not here, though!

I've been trying to find some interesting and useful podcasts to listen to, looking especially for things that I might not normally be interested in knowing about. I suppose that a more eclectic person would say Ah, podcasts on Greek symbolism, or the literary practices of Elizabethan England; actually, branching out, for me, means looking for things on neurobiology, about which I know very little, or artificial intelligence, about which I know a little -- enough to know that you can't really say 'artificial intelligence' and have it mean something; you have to say 'machine cognition' or 'pattern recognition' or 'neural nets', and so forth. I'd like to know more. For example: how'd they actually do the techniques shown in the video in the last post? My knowledge about things like that is back in the 'Boids' timeframe, and that was years ago.
But I also realized something that took me by surprise; podcasts demand attention. Where I can bop through twenty or so web sites on a range of topics in thirty minutes, each podcast might take five to ten minutes itself -- and you have to listen to the end, rather than just cherrypicking as you do when you read. The tape access versys disc access paradigm. I should have realized that before, but I didn't.

I hope to make some more sourdough bread today, so that we can have it tomorrow. We might even make French Toast out of it.
But today, we are going to go look at washer/dryer pairs (most likely: Whirlpool's top loading Cabrio), and possibly chest freezers (our refrigerator's freezer is big enough unless we're being swamped by Fund Raiser Stuff). What fun!

2 comments:

genderist said...

I didn't even realize you had a survey posted! How funny...

I had a survey on my site once, but I had to add a post script to every one of my posts, begging people to vote. I kept it up for a week or so and had 20 votes. I've not done another one since then. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Yup, it was the non-scrollable first entry on the blog. NBD. I didn't expect more than six or seven votes, but one in two days was a little disheartening. Somehow (sob) I'll survive....