Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Why I Won't be Pope

This is why I likely will never be Pope.

According to the news, the current Pope has invited ambassadors from Islamic countries to a fourth meeting to discuss the fallout from his comments that so enraged their constituents. (Pause while I think about their boiling point.) This one is to 'restart' the dialogue between Christians and Muslims.

I couldn't do that. Apologise, yes, absolutely. A second time, sure. Even a third time, possibly. But four?

You gotta be deeply religious to think that'll work, in the absence of constructive feedback from the other side. That doesn't seem to be happening. Some of them are listening, some of them are still fulminating, and I've no idea what the others are up to. Their normal lives, I expect. At this point, I've have given up. I'd have concluded that he gave it the old college try (okay, it was the College of Cardinals), and it kind of worked, and now it was time to move on. But no, he's going to try again. The man obviously is either a glutton for punishment or he has depths of religious optimism that are virtually without end. Sounds like divine inspiration, if so. I don't think I can lay claim to anything like that, and I don't see it in my future, either.

So, no Pope Bill any time soon. Too bad. I'd look good in white. Wonder if Good Humor Ice Cream is hiring?

(By the way, for some good writing on the topic, I recommend this, at the Muslim Apple site. I don't agree with all that she says, but it's well done and worth reading. Listening to the other side when you don't agree is part of what dialogue is all about, to my mind.)

3 comments:

Ify Okoye said...

The Pope didn't apologize a fourth time, he gave a short speech to the assembled ambassadors and thanked them for coming to listen to him "clarify" for the fourth time.

Some of the ambassadors noted their surprise that the Pope called a meeting to lecture them rather than to engage in a dialogue.

Bill, I think you would make a good advisor to the Pope or maybe a stand-in for the Michelin Man.

Cerulean Bill said...

I guess if he brings something up yet again, it sounds to me like he's apologising again, but maybe not. I've never had a Pope apologise to me. I would imagine they don't do it the way you or I would. I can see why they'd be surprised, though.

Me? An advisor to the Pope? Interesting idea.... but the other one, I totally don't get. I do get the feeling that neither of those was, um, a compliment, though...

I really wish you had an email account! I wanted to drop off a comment at your site today, but I didn't have the Wordpress password on my work browser, and I couldn't just *send* you something. Hey, does this suggest *why* you don't have one? (g)

Take care. I do like hearing from you.

Ify Okoye said...

Nah, both were compliments so I'll do like the Pope and clarify for you without actually engaging in dialogue.

"I am sorry and regret the reaction you have had to my comments. Clearly, you did not understand what I was trying to say and that the examples I highlighted do not in any way reflect my personal opinions..."

I think the Pope needs more level-headed grassroots type advisors because if the current crop were worth their salt they would have foreseen that mentioning an odious quote like that would not go down well in the larger world community.

And secondly, the Michelin Man is great. I'm a big Formula 1 fan and you said you look good in white so if you've taken yourself out of the running for Pope then the Michelin Man would be the next logical choice well for me anyway.

I'll consider putting up an email link on my blog.