Saturday, September 09, 2006

Lazy Guy

Let's be clear about this: I can be a lazy guy.

I am not, overall, a lazy guy, but when the mood strikes, I can be very lazy. I see nothing wrong with knocking off work at one in the afternoon, taking a nap, waking up around two thirty, and going back to work. And I see nothing wrong -- well, very wrong -- with giving the absolute minimum in the way of responses to people who believe in Audits. I like to ignore those people as much as I can, even though I know thats not a viable long term solution, and will lead to days of pain. I'd rather the days of pain than the weeks and months of low-grade fever. Part of this is because I think they're evil people, but a lot of it is that I Just Don't Want To Be Bothered.

So it may seem odd, given that I can be lazy, that I'm looking forward to the changes that are proposed for the organization for whom I work - changes that will result in me having more to do. The reason I'm pleasantly optimistic is that these changes will mean doing more technical work -- working in areas that I've never worked before. These are not sexy areas -- no neural nets, no cognitive theory, no proton pump inhibitors or SSRIs -- but rather dull, stolid mainframe operating system software. There will be plenty of opportunities to screw up, and to trip over things that look to me like minutiae but which are in fact crucial to the healthy operation of the operating system. I know this.

I'm still looking forward to it. In an environment where I am reluctantly adjusting to the fact that I'm going to have to work at least until next June, almost certainly until next December, and possibly beyond, so that my company's insurance can pay, or help pay, for my dental fees, I am grateful that at least I'm in a position to do some more technical work while I'm there.

Its what I like to do.

No comments: