Saturday, September 30, 2006

Saturday Night, and the living is...

Uneasy there, for a while: I pressed the blue Fn key on my keyboard, and then the F2 key, which has a blue antenna on it, thinking that this would give me some kind of display about my connection. What it actually did was disconnect my wireless connection, and it took multiple tries before it would connect again. A laptop without a wireless connection is not much fun.

The cupcakes are out of the oven. We'll see, in about ten minutes, how good this recipe is:

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes

Makes 2 dozen
Cupcakes can be made ahead and stored one day in the refrigerator or up to one week in the freezer.

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla; mix batter until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.

2. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about one-third full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

And, OBTW, I am sitting in the blue chair -- the one with the footstool and high armrests. For the first time, I lifted my left arm under its own power, up to the armrest. It twinged, but I did it. (giggle)

=================
Update: My daughter pronounced the cupcakes 'excellent'.

4 comments:

Rach said...

Mmm, they DO sound delish!

And congrats on that little milestone. Certainly something worth celebrating!

Cerulean Bill said...

Pretty soon, I'll be able to do arm-wrestling with that hand. Granted, only with a jellyfish....

Vica said...

The King Arthur Flour site also has a nice chocolate muffin recipe, with chocolate chips! They make a nice breakfast with hot chocolate and raspberry jam.

Good for you with the arm movement. Progress. It's good stuff.

Cerulean Bill said...

Sounds good. I didnt care too much for these. The top was too sticky. The body was good, though.