Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day

Today is Labor Day. In accordance with tradition, I slept in, finally waking around eight-thirty. I laid in bed for a while, listening to the sound of crickets outside. When I got up to get this laptop, I looked out the window and saw the field of corn from the farm next door. Some of the stalks were swaying gently in the breeeze.

I did give some thought to work, though. Not much, because I get tense thinking about it. I take work too seriously, I think, and not seriously enough. The former, because it is very, very important to me to be competent, and to be seen as competent (which is why the project that will not end drives me to distraction) ; the latter, because I tend to think that if I ignore parts of work that I don't like, they'll go away (sometimes they do, but usually they don't).

Some insights on a quiet day.

Happy Labor Day.

2 comments:

genderist said...

Likewise... I only had to work a half day today, so I still had a much needed mini-nap this afternoon.

We could use a three day weekend every month.

Cerulean Bill said...

Absolutely true. My memories of management, and how I used to believe in the Fast Company view of life, make me wonder how to incorporate that into a mindset that would make the work experience a better one. I used to think that was possible. I'd like to think it is, now.