Friday, September 22, 2006

Doughboy

For the first time in a while, I'm making some bread.

I had come across a web page talking about Italian bread, and it sounded pretty good to me, so tonight I'm making some preferment (or pre-ferment). To tell the truth, I'm not sure that using it makes all that much difference to bread, even if the 'artisan' bakers do it (well, sometimes), but it doesn't take much effort at all (ten minutes, tops -- one cup flour, one cup water, quarter teaspoon yeast, mix, cover for 12 or so hours) so what the heck...

Tomorrow morning I'll mix it up, and then go into the rising cycles -- about eight hours in all.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Yum, sounds good! Please tell me you won't be doing the kneading .. or is your arm feeling that much better?

Cerulean Bill said...

I did the kneading with my mixers dough hook, Rach. Even before I whomped my arm, I never really felt as if doing it by hand bought me anything. I recognize that in the higher reaches of breadmaking, there probably is a difference in the ultimate quality of the product, but I'm a simple guy....