Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Hijab Jibjab

A person on a web site that I look at occasionally mentioned having a lot of hijabs, and I wondered what that was. I had a hunch that it was a kind of head scarf, but I wasn't sure -- so I did what most people would do -- did a Google image search for the word -- and my Cybersitter software blocked the page! Wow, I thought, assuming I'm even in the ballpark on what it is, what could possibly be offensive on a page of people wearing head scarves?

Update -- I found what it probably was, and had it here for a bit, but then I deleted it. It belatedly occurred to me that if the image was possibly offensive to people who care about these things, I wouldn't be doing them any favors by having it here. You can still find it with that Google image search, though -- it's the image from www.ocnsignal.com.

5 comments:

Rach said...

Umm, yeah that'd do it.

Cerulean Bill said...

So the question is, is this just a scarf that google misidentified as a hijab, or it is supposed to be one, but in sleek, fashion-oriented kind of way?

If the former, its just a misidentification,but if its the latter, someone's being too cute.

Ify Okoye said...

Not quite like Theo van Gogh's film which featured a naked woman wearing a sheer see-through veil type outfit with verses of the Quran on it.

The google pic is rather more tame.

Cerulean Bill said...

Tame but still provocative -- enough so that I pulled it so as not to offend people who feel strongly about that sort of thing. Does that make me a wimp, I wonder? If so, it's okay; liberals are known for that kind of behavior.

I do remember that he was killed, and as I recall, it was because some intense people disagreed with him about the content of his movies. If that's what it was about, their actions are a little more understandable -- though not defensible.

Ify Okoye said...

Score. 1 more point why you could serve as an advisor to the Pope. Taking other people's feelings into consideration and sometimes moderating our own behavior is not a weakness but a strength.

The murder of Van Gogh is inexcusable and the guy who did it is really an awful person.