Monday, May 26, 2008

Pencils

We just had an interesting conversation with our daughter.

She'd told my wife that she wanted to get something called 'watercolor pencils', because the only sketch she'd done that her art teacher had kept had been done with those. My wife came into the bedroom and asked if I'd be willing for us to get them for her, and I said no; I'd just bought her a brand new sketch book about two weeks ago. My daughter said she'd be willing to pay for them herself, and my wife said she'd go out with her in about half an hour to get the pencils. Better call to see if they're open today, I said, and my wife thought that was a good idea, asking my daughter to call. She didn't want to - and when my wife asked why, she said that she was, after all, paying for them. My wife said that she was taking her, but if she wasn't willing to make the call, she wouldn't go at all.

So they're not. Problem solved. Gas saved. Money saved. And another piece of art equipment, used once or twice, then lost, not acquired.

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

I gather its traditional with kids of that age. For me, part of it was thinking that if I saw another parent make the call for the kid, I'd think 'what a spoiled kid'.