Saturday, May 31, 2008

Oh, Mama, Obama

Oh, Barack.

I am amazed that we are still getting excited over clerics with more to say than brains to say it with. These guys don't seem to realize that the sixties were over quite some time ago. The radical priest come to get us released, we was all on the cover of Newsweek. I'm also amazed at the depth of the dislike -- almost said 'hatred'; not quite, but in the ballpark -- some folks have for Obama. I came across a blog today which asked "Does Barrack Hussein Obama know or is friends with anyone who is not an America hating race baiter????" He seriously doesn't like Obama. It doesn't surprise me that people don't like him; it surprises me how deeply they don't. Its not so much verbal as visceral. I don't understand it. I'd like to think that we could talk about it, perhaps come to an understanding, but I think that we're so far apart, we might as well be in different worlds.

Talked to my daughter tonight, and casually mentioned the idea of not going to Guard this summer if she doesn't do well on her grades. She got more than a little agitated. I didn't want to do that, but I did want to get her attention, and at that, I succeeded. Unfortunately, when I told her what they said about 'two hours a night' of homework, she told me that middle school had said there would be two and a half hours per night, and that sure didn't pan out -- leaving me to wonder should it have?

The book I was waiting for, Understanding Baking, finally arrived, and I was pretty disappointed. I had bought the second edition, not realizing that this wasn't the edition I had borrowed from the library (what, Bill, you didn't have a clue that the five dollar price might suggest this is really old?). This edition is, as my wife put it, more of a training guide for kids in a vo-tech baking course, not at all the succinctly written explanations of the third edition. The book's not worthless; every so often it comes across a basic concept that I didn't know, and am glad to find out, but still: I do believe buying the newest edition is in my future. Unless anyone wants to gift me with it. Hello? Hello?

No comments: