Monday, May 26, 2008

Weirdness and Transportation and Hair, Oh My

Weirdness -- is when you are driving your daughter and another girl to a Memorial Day event, and the other girl insists on discussing why she feels it necessary to shave the hairs on her arms, because 'when they get wet, they look ugly'. This is seriously more than I wanted to know. I think it was more than my daughter wanted to know.

Transportation -- I have a Google alert set up for the words railroad and capacity. Lo and behold, I'm seeing headlines like Gas Prices Drive Up Rail Ridership, and Suddenly, Freight Trains Are The Way To Go. I'll bet there are people in the industry who are more than a little amazed at how sexy they've become -- and people who are recasting themselves as Instant Experts. Why, I personally have said for years that we need to improve our intermodal transfer capacity. Harrumph.

Hair -- I never understand how hairdressers figure out what kind of hairstyle looks best on a given face. My assumption is, they don't; they just do what you asked them to do, more or less. But I also assume that the better ones do, and they do it in a way that is intuitive rather than explainable. I came across this blog where a woman has been taking a picture of her face for multiple days, and one of the things you can do is see how her 'face' changes as she changes her hairstyle. I still don't understand it, but its interesting nonetheless.

4 comments:

Sweeti said...

Next time suggest Veet cream hair remover instead of shaving and totally shock her.

Cerulean Bill said...

Not me. I'm getting NOWHERE near that conversation. This other kid can look for a Yeti, for all I care... and if it was MY daughter who is curious, I'll pass the buck to her mother so fast, it'll blur in midair.

Sweeti said...

lol, gosh, it's not like a training bra.

Cerulean Bill said...

That was bad enough. Took me forever to hook the wheels on... and I never did get the kickstand attached. But the bell works okay...