Friday, May 16, 2008

Motivation

We were just at the dinner table when my wife told our daughter that she'd arranged for her to have a vision test after school lets out for the year. "But don't worry, I'll make sure it isn't on a day when you have color guard". My daughter looked up. "Doesn't matter", was her response. After she left the table, I asked my wife if that was the daughter's way of saying that she didn't think she'd be in color guard, since she didn't think she'd do well in school. My wife just nodded, and my heart sank.

I don't like holding a whip over my daughter, and taking away something that she enjoys doing seems harsh to me, especially given that if she does it during the summer, its not affecting any school time. Yet in the fall, it will, and I don't want to go through this again. I want to be sure that I'm not expecting too much -- especially given that from what we're told, the chances are very good that in high school her grades will drop just from the fact that the classes are more difficult.

Not sure what to do. Maybe I'll try talking with her about it.

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

Its an extracurricular activity wherein the participants perform acrobatic and dance routines with multi-colored flags, either by themselves or in conjunction with the marching band. The routines usually have a theme, such as 'springtime' or 'hot night in the city'. Here is a sample that I found doing a Google search. Its of the color guard at another school.