Sunday, May 18, 2008

Designing

I mentioned in an earlier post having come across a poem of sorts about bras, which is a subject that I don't know all that much about, other than that fitting for the right size is important, and that a good one is expensive. Thinking about that reminded me of a roommate I had while I was in the Air Force who'd told me about taking a design course in college, wherein he had to take a common object and somehow improve its design. So there he was, one day, working on a little cylinder, about two and a half inches long, made mostly of cardboard, carefully applying cotton to it, when a classmate came up and asked him what he was doing. He told her, and she said Oh, that sounds neat, can I help? He said that she could watch, but he really didn't need any help, especially given the limited work area. Whereupon she picked up the cylinder and started looking closely at it, turning it over and over. What is this thing, anyway? she asked. Well, he said, it's an improved tampon.

Didn't see her for the remainder of the day.

No comments: