Friday, May 16, 2008

Memed

Lady Banana offered me this meme, just a bit ago --

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs.

I find it a little tough to do, as I tend to listen to mostly classical music or light jazz, and I rarely actually know the name of whatever it is that I'm listening to. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try --

One that I really like, and have for quite some time, is Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Not being a music groupie, I have almost no idea what this means, taken from the Wikipedia article --

As indicated by the accepted title of the piece, the Toccata and Fugue is scored in D minor. It is not in dorian mode as the key signature supposes, as it was common practice in the Baroque period to write in leading tone accidentals rather than in the key signature. It begins with a single-voice flourish in the upper ranges of the keyboard, doubled at the octave. It then spirals toward the bottom, where a diminished seventh chord appears, built one note at a time. This resolves into a D major chord, taken from the parallel major mode.


But I know that I like it.

I'm also fond of almost anything sung by Diana Krall, including Just the Way You Are. Three of her CDs are always in the stack right next to the player.

One piece that can always get me excited is Old Time Rock and Roll, as done by the Silver Bullet Band. My daughter likes country music, and I can listen only if its got a hard driving beat.

Speaking of hard driving: Break on Through, Twentieth Century Fox, or Light My Fire, all by The Doors all make me stop and listen.

And if I'm in a more quiet, contemplative mood -- likely Grey Maroney's Harmony Grove will be playing.

No comments: