Sunday, May 25, 2008

Awareness

Nothing deep this morning, just a couple of thoughts.

When I see people on their blog, I judge what kind of people they are -- interesting, insightful, stodgy, dull-- by what they look like. I assume they're more likely to be interesting if they're younger. Its an added bonus if the picture on the blog makes me think its an attractive young woman (yes, I'm still trying to get a date for the high school dance). Yet a couple of times, I've been startled by bloggers who are much older than I thought, because there was no picture, and the way they think, the things that they say, their insights, their style is fresh, innovative, and flexible, making me think that they must be fairly young. I realized once that if people judged me the way that I judge them, they might never want to get to know me. I suppose I'm fortunate that other people are not as rigid as I can be. I try to change that, but man, ingrained habits....

Today is day four of the 'friendship bread' process. On the second through fourth days, I just mixed the batter once -- and went back several times just to smell it. My daughter can't understand why the yeasty aroma delights me so -- or why I am so pleased that today I get to add flour, water, and sugar.

Socks should come in Velcro wrap-around versions for the times when you can just not bend over far enough.

I ordered a used copy of the Understanding Baking book -- and afterwards discovered that although the copy I'm reading is edition three, the one I ordered is edition two. Rats. On the other hand, its only $5, with free shipping -- and baking can't have changed that much in fifteen years. I hope.

There's an article in the Washington Post magazine about companies doing mass firings. I couldn't read it. Its been a year, I really wasn't that upset -- well, pretty much -- but I couldn't read it.

I'm glad we went to the Pennsylvania Food Fest yesterday. It was interesting. Low key, but interesting.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

I think my thoughts make me seem old. I really am pretty stuck in my ways :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Old? Quite the contrary. You are one of the people who surprised me by your age, because you surely don't act it. Act your age! (g)