Sunday, November 26, 2006

Up and Down

We're back. Long drive up, long drive back.

Many, many people at the reception -- at the Mystic Seaport, no less; quite classy. Much cleavage by the bridesmaids and guests (not that I noticed!). I'm always surprised to find that someone who's so on display can be a friendly, normal person. Then again, I'm not in the running, if I ever was, so its 'safe' to talk to me. The offspring, a junior bridesmaid, looked good. From the front, a normal kid in a nice gown; from the back, a well-dressed, well-coiffed young lady -- tall and slender. That's my daughter?

Much, much food. Good music. Big open bar. Glittering decorations. Shazam.

Not being a party type, I left the reception early, went back to the hotel, watched TV while the wife and offspring cavorted -- and barely 90 minutes later, they called for pickup. We all slept late, and this morning, there was again much food, this time at the sister's house. Lots of cookies, and four (!) Christmas trees already up and decorated. Amazing. We do well to put up one tree and a string of lights in twice the time!

Drive back was uneventful until we were within an hour of home, at which time the excellence of PennDot's planning once again manifested itself where two highways merged, and congealed. We read every word on the back of a semi's trailer, including the license plate.

Glad we went. Tiring, but fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great time and made it back, safe and sound. Isn't it such a proud parental moment when you see your daughter up there, performing her special duties for her special role?

Anonymous said...

I think everyone had a pretty exhausting weekend. Interesting to have a Thanksgiving wedding!

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, Rach, I have to admit to a feeling of transient queasiness when I realized how little time separates her age now from when she could conceivably get married herself. I just hope that I'm ready for that when it happens. She did tell me, the other night, that she thought she would never meet anyone she would want to spend her life with, and I assured her that she probably would -- but that if she didn't, she could still have a happy and fulfilled life -- that being married wasn't a requirement for happiness. I did NOT mention that it would be perfectly okay with me if she did not get married for, say, fifteen or twenty years.

Nancy -- yes, you're right. I zonked out in the car on the way home (no, not while I was driving), and we all slept in this morning. I think the TDay arrangement was interesting, too. We almost did that, but freaked at the idea that it might snow then -- so we backed it up a month. In their case, they were concerned about rain. The bride's solution? Hand out brightly colored rubber boots to the bridesmaids as a totem against rain -- and it worked!