Saturday, November 04, 2006

Doughed

Other than the burn, it's not bad.

I found a recipe for garlic and asagio cheese bread in a cookbook that my mother gave me for my birthday. As it happens, my wife likes the asagio cheese bread we get at Panera, and my daughter LOVES it, so I thought to give it a try. The recipe is pretty simple, and the only problem (problems of the idle baker) was that the dough didn't really go through a second rise. The kitchen isn't warm enough for that, so I normally stick the dough in the oven with just the light on for warmth. This time, though, I was heating the baking stone. As a result, the bread is more like focaccia than a loaf, but thats not a bad thing. Also, my daughter tasted the first loaves, and said that while it was good, it wasn't as good as Paneras, which sprinkles cheese on top of the bread. So, about half way through the baking cycle for the remaining loaves, I did that -- which was how I got a small burn on my hand. Not bad, though -- and I was amazed to see the cheese literally melting into the bread as I slid the tray back into the oven.

So, good. We've got the tomato bisque soup cooking now, too; we'll have that for dinner with the bread. I didn't make the hot chocolate, or the rice pudding -- at least one of them will happen tomorrow, I think. Unfortunately for us, my wife is once again working from way early to late moring -- from home, but still.... so probably no Sunday brunch for us.

Have some bread!

1 comment:

Rach said...

Both the soup and the bread sound devine. Yum!