Saturday, November 04, 2006

Guinea Pig

I swear, if my daughter ever gets another pet, it's going to be along the lines of an amoeba, or possibly a paramecium.

Chocolate the GP is sick again. The same thing as before -- loses the ability to move. Apparently, its due to some kind of swellling that affects her motor nerves. There are drugs to reduce the swelling, and manual manipulation that does who-knows-what, but does actually seem to have an effect. And now, it seems, the animal has a swollen front paw, for unknown reasons and with unknown effect. We have an already-scheduled appointment with the vet, and as soon as she sees that, I just know she's going to start talking about extensive therapy, mood lighting for the GP cage, perhaps a GP support group.

Gah. Or maybe ants. You can't get attached to ants, can you?

5 comments:

Rach said...

One word. Fish!

Cerulean Bill said...

I've suggested that. She's not up for it. But I still like the idea. Maybe I'll do it in preparation...though that could lead her to say Well, YOU got a pet, can't I have another? Not to mention, whats the life expectancy of your average neon tetra? Which is what I'd want to get, even knowing its a high cost item. I just like that image... knew a guy years ago who had several , and though he seemed to flush them with regularity, I always assumed it was because he didn't take care of them 'properly'.

Rach said...

I'm on my second Beta right now. The first one lived a year almost to the day, and this one we've had since Mother's Day. No filter, no bubbles, no thermometer or any other gadget. Just tap water at room temp, small dish, some drops to dechlorinize the water, and food. Oh and they come in all sorts of gorgeous colours. She may just like the idea. :)

Anonymous said...

i know the feeling my daughter has a hamster...oooh goodness she drives me crazy. i already have 4 kids i feel like this hamster though takes up more time than my kids do.... and the smell oh lord!

Cerulean Bill said...

We didn't want her to have the second GP, but she worked to prove the concept -- measured her room for where the cage could go, saved her money to buy it. And now she's getting to see what it takes to keep them healthy. I think the lesson is worth it.

They don't smell...TOO much. (g)