Friday, November 17, 2006

Fleep!

Yes, I said it, and I won' take it back, either.

I was so tickled when the StandBy feature started working on this laptop after I updated the video driver. It worked for weeks. And then, about a week ago, it -- stopped. It didn't disappear (grey out) as it had before the fix; it's still there, still selectable -- but when you select it, nothing happens. Oh, the image changes to indicate that the button's been pressed, but thats it. Nothing vanishes from the desktop, and it certainly does not go into standby. Except sometimes -- it does.

Fleep!

I did find that on the power options, I have 'go into standby' if the case cover is closed, and that isn't working, either, so what I think is happening is that it is trying to go into Standby, and failing. I even looked at the Event Log, which displays system events (on XP, its under Administrative Tools and, I think, Component Services), which helped me fix a perplexing problem on my work laptop (which is actually about to be replaced, mirable dictu.... which means I have hours ahead of me dedicated to moving files and applications, because, you see, my employer, the Biggest Little Software Company In The World, doesn't see it as necessary to have people dedicated to that function. Why, the CEO himself personally moves his files onto his new PC....yeah, right.) but even that didn't help. And doing a web search for 'XP Stand By Doesn't' will not elicit anything useful. Somewhere, there's an answer.... and I think its 'so, when you getting a new laptop?'

Fleep!

On the other hand, we've had a quiet breakfast, the sun light is shining golden on the house I can see at the far side of the farmer's field (he cut down the corn two weeks ago), today we're each going into my daughter's school to take a class with her (my wife gets Tech Ed, I get French), and this weekend we're going to make a) Chicken Piccata, which I've never made before, and b) a recipe for chewy biscotti dipped in chocolate, which likely won't come out as great as the picture, but should be pretty good.

So there!

No comments: