Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Tau Factor

That title has absolutely nothing to do with this post. It's simply a phrase which I liked that I just came across in a novel, and for which I found a nifty definition here. But it's not what prompted me to write.

I heard a bit on NPR this evening wherein women in Pennsylvania were asked their views on what's important in this election, and, I guess, globally. None of these women sounded like professional thinkers, people who spend their days mulling over the great ideas of life. They sounded like real people. And though I agreed with most of them, I particularly liked the comment of a woman who identified her political affiliation as Libertarian. That's a party I've always associated with the radical fringe; though I'm not likely to change affiliations, I'm getting more respect for the Libertarians lately, in large part due to other people saying what she said: that it was time for a return to the middle of the road, to a position where neither side overwhelmingly dominated the discussion, where there was give and take. I liked that a lot. She went on to say that she was pro-choice, and supported stem-cell research, among other things, which got me to thinking: what do I support? We've got billions of dollars in the budget - what would I spend it on, what do I think is most important?

I know that much of the budget is locked in and untouchable; my off the cuff estimate is that maybe a third of it is up for grabs each year. Of course, there are limits; though I'm always taken by the bumper sticker you see on occasion to the effect of What if they had to pay for bombers by holding a bake sale?, no one's going to go from umpity-billions of dollars this year for defense to zero next year; similarly, I doubt the budget of the National Park Service is going to find itself flush with cash where today it's barren and sterile. Still, some fooling around is possible. Some game-playing might help.A game, perhaps, like the National Budget Simulation. Materials on the budgetary process and players such as these help, too.

I just played the Simulation's short form, and you know what? It makes you think. What's more important, agriculture or regional development? Should veterans affairs get more money? If so, should transportation lose the money, or should it come from aid to low-income families? Or should the whole budget increase?

Even the simple choices are difficult, in this game.

2 comments:

Rach said...

This is totally off the topic of this particular posting, but I can't find the post about this so I'm putting it here .. hope that's okay.

Remember when I mentioned wondering if an upgrade to Windows XP was in the making. Apparently it's so. I came across this at one of my 'daily visited blogs',
http://tobeperfectlyclear.blogspot.com/2006/11/microsoft-vista.html

I think I'll stick with XP for now tho.

Cerulean Bill said...

Of course it's okay!

I think thats a good move. I hear Vista's going to be a major resource hog...