Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Recipes

We have recipes in four places. Not counting cookbooks.

We have a small plastic index card holder. It contains the things we make frequently, or things we thought we'd make and never did. This last classification is not unique to that holder. The holder sits in the cupboard with the cereal, flour, and general baking stuff.

We have a white binder with seven or eight recipes we make fairly often; though the definition of 'often' varies, the concept doesn't. Each time we make something from that location, it feels like a familiar dish. The binder is on the shelf with the cooking magazines we've saved, as well as the cookbooks, in the kitchen bookcase.

We have three manila folder binders containing recipes we've torn out, been given, or otherwise acquired. I'd say we've made about ten percent of these -- but the others all sound so good! (Well, usually.) They're next to the cook books.

And we have the 'recipes' directory on the desktop PC. Some of the material there has been printed and put in the first or second location. Much of it is also things we haven't made, but think it would be fun to do. The desserts subdirectory is the largest, then the breakfast one and the baking one. The main meals one is pretty skimpy. Hard to find a main meal recipe that we don't already make, thats makeable by us, that I'll actually try, let alone eat. It does happen.... but not too often.

Every so often, we come across a recipe we've saved and say hey, lets do that. Sometimes we say we're going to do this routinely. We almost never do. We try one or two, say wow, that was good but it sure did take a long time to make, or wow, that sure did take a long time to make and it wasn't really worth it.

Sometimes I think that I really should put all of these into one place, and sometimes I even try. And then I say 'why am I doing this?' Since owning up to a sometimes compulsive need for order would expose my vice (well, one of them), I stop. Until the next time.

So -- with all of that, you'd think we have a rich culinary life, wouldn't you? Instead of Pizza Hut on speed dial?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for a good recipe (mostly dessert or main meal) so if you find one that makes you say WOW .. please post it. :D

Cerulean Bill said...

Okay, but I warn you, my tastes are plebian.