Saturday, November 18, 2006

Doing the Consumer Thing

I went to the store and bought a jacket and a belt. The jacket was to wear to the wedding this coming weekend; the belt was so I didn't have to keep taking one of my two belts from one of my three pairs of khaki's that I wear to work whenever I needed a belt for my jeans. My wife helped me get the jacket. Though we teased about it on the way in (Honey, what color do I like?), I really do rely on her opinion. I wouldn't pick plaid or madras but my sense of color is not as good as hers. After we were done, I went to pay for them while she went off to look for something else.

At the payment station, the elderly clerk, not realizing that the woman he'd seen standing near me, looking at clothing, was actually my wife, asked in some surprise how I was able to pick out the jacket by myself. I told him that my wife had helped, and he nodded. "Makes sense", he said, satisfied.

Scary part is, he was right.

2 comments:

Rach said...

heehee. I think all men depend on their wives (if they have one) for fashion advice. I know if mine didn't .. he may be stuck in some 80's style. lol

Cerulean Bill said...

I have been known to wear the same shirt to bed and then during the next day. My style is a variant of that which I used when I used to dress my daughter. The primary standard was 'is she naked?' and the secondary was 'are there large, visible stains on what she's wearing?' (note the two criteria - both large and visible). It was a sad day for me when I had to acknowledge that the ribbed black turtleneck sweater I'd had in high school really didn't fit any more...and was too threadbare, even if it did.