Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mr. Breakfast and Jazzbo

This morning, we had waffles and frozen burritos for breakfast. We're out of sausage, you see, except for whats in the freezer, and I thought well, heck, if I'd have to thaw and heat something anyway... so I pulled out the frozen burritos, and that's what we used. I took a bite, looked up at my wife, and said Please don't buy these ever again. They were terrible. Possibly something to do with being in the freezer now, for, oh, three months, but still -- they were terrible. Even with Emmanual Ax playing in the background, they were terrible. Yuck.

So, since I had the laptop out, I did yet another search for a burrito recipe. I found one on a site called Mr. Breakfast. It was your average recipe, but what got my attention was the comment at the end:
"Mr. Breakfast would like to thank Jazzbo for this recipe."

Mr. Breakfast and Jazzbo! Doesn't that sound like a mid-sixties cartoon show? Mr. Breakfast is the stocky proprietor of a greasy spoon breakfast place, someone who's always gruff and blunt, but has a heart of gold when its needed. 'Don't you go tellin' no one, hear?' he'll mutter as he hands over the rent money/rare comic book/new pair of sneakers for the homeless orphan. And Jazzbo is a whip-thin black kid, always snapping his fingers, dresses wildly, always has a boombox with him. He's the pipeline into what the cool kids are thinking, and he likes to call you Man -- but, you know, in a respectful way. Mr. Breakfast and Jazzbo!

Yeah.

In the middle of that discussion, we came up with another recipe for BB's (eliminate the potatos, put in spicy Italian sausage), so I think that soon, we're gonna Try It Again.

Oh, and speaking of food?

Bread dough's rising nicely.

2 comments:

Rach said...

You've mentioned breakfast burritos a few times now, and I'm curious to see how they'd taste first thing in the morning. So I've put it on my 'to try' list. Thanks!

Cerulean Bill said...

A recommendation: chop the stuff going into it, like peppers and whatnot, well in advance of the cooking. The day before, if you can get your act together. (I sometimes can, sometimes can't). The process of assembling and cooking seems to go faster when I do that.