Thursday, November 30, 2006

Networking

I installed a package called Network Magic to help me understand how my home network is performing. It's not free, but it's fairly inexpensive. And I've learned something quite interesting.

In a nutshell, it told me that the download speed from the router to the desktop (which is hardwired to the router) is about 3000 K per second. The download speed from the router to this laptop is about a tenth of that. I had thought it wasn't all that bad, but seeing that comparison makes me think well, okay, loss in wireless transfer is pretty high. But today I installed NM on my work laptop. Transferring from the same router, same network, same transfer type (ie, wireless) it says the transfer rate is almost identical. Not to this laptop's rate -- to the desktop's rate. Put another way, the work laptop transfers ten times faster than this laptop.

Shazam. Why? I have no clue. But at least now I know there that there IS a problem. And knowing that, maybe I can fix it.

Btw, I really like that new work laptop!

No comments: