Friday, November 03, 2006

The Beat

What makes a song rememberable?

I was just thinking about that because a web site I was looking at happened to have an MP3 of the theme from The Munsters television show -- this one, done in a very 60's style by a group called The Firebirds. It brought to mind how there are certain songs or tunes that I will always stop and listen to. The classic, for me, is Pete Seegar and The Silver Bullet Band's Old Time Rock and Roll... but there's also the classic James Bond theme (even now, the first notes drift through my mind...dah dah DAH DAH dah dit dah....). And Kodachrome: I'll always turn that up loud, pretty much wherever I am. And YMCA, and I Dig Rock and Roll Music.

So what do these have in common? Part's got to be the beat, the rhythm -- something that lends itself to slapping on any available surface. And its got to be relatively simple, amenable to faking it if you don't actually remember all of it. But what else?

Several years ago, as a lark , I wrote down the names of seven or eight songs I absolutely loved, songs I didn't want to forget. Wonder where that list is now? Wonder what was on it?

================
This weekend's recipes: heavy duty hot chocolate (I mean, really dense; so dense, when we made it the first time, it tasted like we'd just nuked a Cadbury and drank it). We cut the chocolate from 24 to 12 ounces. We'll see how it goes. And, Tomato Bisque soup, which we've never made before. It sounds good.... And maybe some rolls, maybe not.

3 comments:

Peruby said...

Psst! Whisper, whisper. I think you mean, "Bob" Seger.

Cerulean Bill said...

No, he changed his name... No? Um...no, you read it wrong, I really said....ah, fooey. Yep, thats it. Good catch!

Rach said...

Yep, there's some oldie but goodie's out there for sure. I should make a list of my top ten songs too .. heck, that would make a great scrapbook page! Thanks for the idea! :)

Yumm .. Tomato anything soup sounds so good right about now. It's a drizzly day and the chocolate would go down nicely too.
Enjoy your day!