Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Yabbut

One of the things that I'm good at is second-guessing myself.

A few days ago, I was 'talking' with a person via Twitter, and she mentioned that she's a database person who works in Australia. Kidding, I said that I was a techie who liked Australia, and I was going to send her my resume. To my surprise, she said that they were looking for people, and I should send it along. Now, I'm not looking for a job. I like being retired. Still - the latest financial news makes me think that maybe I ought to be thinking about alternatives, just in case. So I hauled at the resume, cleaned it up a bit -- I'm not one for self-promotion, so my resume is fairly bland -- and sent it along.

Today, I found out that the company is question is a private company that makes and installs a specialized piece of software for small stores. What? I thought. I don't know anything about that kind of stuff! And its true. All my experience has been in running and supporting big honkin' systems for dozens of customers. Supporting just one -- let alone, working for just one -- I don't know anything about that! Not that it might not be fun -- it'd be a whole different area, with its own pleasures and pains; the company sounds pretty interesting (it'd be a novelty to have one customer to worry about, not dozens); its a new area of technology; there would be the occasional trip to Australia and the environs -- hmm. But I've never done anything like that before!

Bear in mind, I have absolutely NO reason to think they'd be interested in the slightest. Although I'm a good techie, I'm not a retail systems kind of guy, of whom I'm sure there are hundreds, thousands. So I have no reason to think that anything at all will come of this. But still: what am I getting into?

Second guessing is wonderful, when you're good at it.

No comments: