Friday, September 12, 2008

Moods

I was in a fairly good mood, thinking about the weekend and whatnot. And then I was reminded by a comment that McCain is doing well, and that shot it straight to pieces. I realized a while ago that I cannot think about this election before going to sleep, or I won't go to sleep. If you've noticed that some posts are time-stamped much later than normal, that's why. I have to find something to do to distract myself, and surfing the net tends to be it.

Today we brought our old PC over to a shop to have a wireless card installed. I know that I could have bought one, but I wasn't confident of my ability to get it in and make it work. If it comes out okay, we will give that PC to my mother (though she most likely will not ever try to get out to the net) for use in games and whatnot. She used to use the other one fairly often, but was in the middle of one when she had her stroke. For a long time, she didn't even want to think about PCs. I'm not all that sure that she wants to, even now, but we want her to have one. We feel a little guilty taking the other one, once she said she didn't want it.

I haven't baked anything lately. I kind of miss that. Well, I did make a brioche bread, but it didn't turn out all that well. I'm in the mood to bake something. I'm always amazed by the 'baking blogs' that I come across. These people either have incredible talent or incredible luck. I'm just happy when the damn things don't burn. When I was a kid, my mother's cookies -- not that there were all that many -- burned all the time. I thought that was how they were supposed to taste.

Not reading much at the moment. I need some decent escapist literature.

4 comments:

Sweeti said...

I miss your baking too!

Cerulean Bill said...

Its pretty relaxing. For some reason, I've been on edge of late. Can't imagine why! (g)

Sweeti said...

I miss the good ol'Bill, maybe you could use some chamomile tea or something stronger like a zanax. Kidding, but it has been a hard read, it's somewhat like Rosey O going on her tyrants when you enjoyed her comedy and know that she really does comedy best and thats what you liked about her most.

Cerulean Bill said...

What can I say. I strongly believe that Obama is better. I don't think he is perfect; I don't think that all problems will fall before him; I don't think any of those silly things. I simply compare him to McCain, and in my estimation, he comes out ahead. He could be considerably weaker, and I would still prefer him over McCain, based on McCain's similarities to Bush, and on McCain's current style. Taxes, for one; McCain believes in giving more money to the rich, on the assumption that it will trickle down. That's been around for a while, and it doesn't seem to have happened yet. The economy; McCain believes that things are fundamentally sound, while people are losing their homes, jobs are being shipped overseas, and banks/brokerages are failing. The War: McCain is willing to keep people there for a long time.

All of those scare the living daylights out of me, but when you add his faulty judgement -- those ads sicken me; selecting someone with such light experience as his backup -- it terrifies me. You may say that all politicians lie, and I'd have to agree. But they don't all distort their opponents statements and history as egregiously as McCain has done. Its as if I said that of course you are a drug user; you maintain all of the characteristics of one. And, later, say 'well, now, did I say illegal drugs? I meant legal ones. Though I suppose you could not rule out the others. ' Did I lie? No. But I exaggerated and left foul, misleading impressions.

As for Palin: a politician can pick whomever he wants. But someone with such weak experience better have a primary who's going to be around for a while. McCain's 72, and not in great health.

I shudder for my country. And if I have to take the loss of my few readers in order to speak out -- well, I won't like it -- in fact, I'll be very sad -- but I'll do it. I will do whatever I can to help Obama win, because I think the alternative would damaage my country even more than it is now. My country is too important to me to let that happen without at least trying to keep it from happening. You know: Country First.

I really am sorry that we disagree, though. I beleive that you are sincere.