Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The election

Like a cigarette smoker who promises to quit...but first, just one more to tide me over... I keep reading politically oriented sites. I find plenty to irritate me - you can guess their content - but occasionally I find one that delights me. In this case, a post on the Miss Britt site vigorously (to put it mildly) promoting the idea that it's our responsibility to be informed on the issues, because the candidates cannot put complex platforms on yard sites or elucidate them in thirty second spots. If we want to find out what they say on anything, they have websites that do that.

Now, there's a caveat there. I wouldn't trust anything that one candidate said if he got the Pope to validate it, whereas for the other, I'd likely nod if he said that his plan relied heavily on the use of magick. You've got to know your biases, and you've got to hold your nose and read the bilge that the other side puts out -- because sometimes, its not bilge, its you.

I believe that one candidate is clearly better. The advertising slant that the other side has taken of late sickens me. Yet that doesn't free me of the responsibility to know what they say, and it shouldn't free you, either.

Go. Learn. Vote.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

Thanks for this as I forwarded the blog link to various friends and relatives. This election is way too important to not vote!

Cerulean Bill said...

Absolutely true. I have to grit my teeth, sometimes, when I think You're encouraging people to vote who will vote AGAINST your candidate! Who are more fascinated with inconsequentials than.... But I do, anyway, because it IS important. One of the risks of the occasionally liberal, I guess.

genderist said...

You've got until 10/10 to register to vote for the 11/4 election! If you've moved, changed your name, or will turn 18 before 11/4 --- REGISTER!

Register to count!

(Then go vote...)

Cerulean Bill said...

Isn't that what I said?