Saturday, September 13, 2008

Baking

Well, I'm going to give another try to baking, today. I think, since I'm a little dispirited, it'll be simple stuff, like chocolate chip cookies. Heck, I might not even put salt on that. Oh, the horror!

The reason I'm a little down is not, for once, the election: my daughter woke up this morning with a really bad sore throat, to the point where she came in and woke us up at five to six. She could barely eat breakfast, and now she's off to a Color Guard practice. I told her that if she felt ill, she could come home, and she gave me the Hairy Eyeball, reminding me that She Who Must Be Obeyed, the color guard director, doesn't let people leave for trivial reasons. Personally, I think someone who's as down as she was this morning isn't leaving for trivial reasons, but we've had that discussion before. She knows how I feel about the director, and I know how she feels. Still, you've got to make the effort.

I suppose a little of my mood is the election. I don't like being this intense (and I can feel my rhetorical muscles tensing to leap But what about...), and I don't like getting into heated discussions about it. I'm normally a pretty quiet, easy-going person (Another tensing just felt!) I hope it's over soon, and I hope that when it is, I'll be happy. I know that won't happen, though. I remember someone -- was it Nixon? -- who was greeted with signs that said Bring Us Together. We need that. We desperately need that.

In theory, we're going to do some garden stuff today. Mostly some trimming, and putting down some edging on one area. I've been half-thinking of getting a riding mower. It'd really be overkill -- our property isn't that big, even if there are a couple of spots where mowing isn't that easy -- hillocks on the back and one side, bumpy terrain in another. We wanted to get a tractor that could pull a mowing attachment and have a hook-on snow-shoveling attachment, but that'd be way too much firepower. Still...the dream lingers on, particularly on mornings like this, when I'm thinking that I really ought to mow that side yard again. Gah. Winters coming, why do it now?

I'm still a little shaken by finding out about that neighbor. We weren't friends, but we liked them, particularly the wife and son. We'd like to do something, but we don't know what. I always have this image of people in small towns who just DO something. We're not that open, I'm afraid. My wife said that perhaps I could bake something for them. Seems trivial, but - yeah, maybe.

So thats the plan. And I'm going to try not to look - much - at political news.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

I hope your daughter doesn't have strep throat. That's the worst sore throat I've ever had. It hurts horribly.

Working in the yard sounds nice today. I think I might do a bit of that myself. We've got winds from that 600 mile wide hurricane even though we're about 300 miles from it. It's still sunny out, but nice and breezy. So I think I might go outside today too.

It's good to get away from the election news, Bill. I think it's worse on the internet than it is on the TV. On the internet you get every kind of rumor and blog taken as verified fact when it's not that at all. I've been avoiding it for a few days now, and my mood has been considerably lighter and less stressed.

Cerulean Bill said...

She's had strep. It wasn't this bad. Course, kids, who knows -- in two hours she could be better.

After 9/11, I adopted a No News Is Good News philosophy -- I just stopped reading or listening for a while. And I did feel better.

I do notice that if I see an article that's critical of McCain or Palin, I think 'Ah, yes, good point', but if it is not (either its for them or anti-Obama), I think 'well, what the heck do THEY know'. For someone who tries to be pretty even handed, thats a slightly alarming realization.