Thursday, September 18, 2008

Notes, Of A Morning

It shouldn't surprise me, but it does: when I read articles about the problem that China is having with tainted powdered milk (four kids have died from it), and the article says that parents are worried, I think: Really? They worry about that kind of stuff, too? Yeah, Bill, they do. And they eat and use the bathroom and complain about traffic....What a concept.

I dropped a note to a woman who'd posted an interesting comment on Twitter, and, since there's no 'mail' facility on Twitter, I went to her blog to leave the comment. (Do other people have the great difficulty of getting a response from Twitter, and, when it comes, thinking Who is this person? What did I say to them, anyway?) She is a writer, and is apparently an ebuillent person, to boot (so now she's got two out of two things that I'd like to be); on her blog, she thanked me for the comment, and then said how great my blog was, and that she recommended it. I was astonished. You know the sort of thing I write; it frequently sounds like solipistic rambling, with crickets chirping in the silent background. So, though I'm sure she was just being a nice person, I was flattered. But that Twitter linkback -- why hasn't anyone fixed that? (Likely they have; I just don't know about it).

This morning, my wife came in, said that they were having breakfast, and asked if I wanted to eat with them. I said I'd pass, and went back to sleep, staggering out about fifteen minutes later. Hey, I said, I didn't know you were making waffles! Sure, she replied, don't you remember? I said we were having breakfast, I'd made coffee and waffles, and did you want to eat with us? I shook my head. That phrase just completely dropped from my level of comprehension. But, even reheated, homemade waffles are good.

Today I am making brownies -- partially for a local fund-raiser, and partially to give to the woman who's married to the guy I mentioned earlier. I don't know what we can do for her (to be honest, what we would do for her; she's a nice person, we like her, she's in a bad spot, but still....we're not people who feel it easy to intrude into other people's lives( Hi, we know your husband was arrested for sex with a minor, would you like some muffins?) even with the best of intentions). But I wanted to do something, so - brownies. And if I can think of a way to do it, invite her and her son over for dinner some night.

And, today, I'm going to make political phone calls. I so am not looking forward to that. I have said that if my guy (can you guess who it is?) doesn't win, I'm going to feel terrible, but I'll feel even worse if I didn't do everything I could to help it happen. SO......Hi, I'm calling on behalf of this campaign, can I talk to you for...hello? hello?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wife did that for Bill. She enjoyed it. I don't know if she'll be doing it for Obama; her time is a little more fragmented these days. (Besides, she's still ticked that he didn't name her Veep.)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I am always reluctant to push myself on people, and I know how I feel when I get those calls.