Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Surprise!

As part of color guard, my daughter takes a dance class. Well, not dance class so much as 'a dance teacher showing some moves to the girls in color guard'. My niece, on the other hand, goes to dance class. Boy, does she ever. This is more like dance-class-lite. For the class, they usually wear a white or black T shirt, sometimes a leotard, and cut offs or something like that. Plus some damn-expensive dance shoes. I drop her off, and usually just park and read a book till they get out. Most other people drop the kid off, and come back an hour later. This is classic waste-gas time, as there are at least six cars waiting at the same place to pick kids up and bring them to the same place, that being, the high school where color guard practices. Each time I do this, I think someone ought to carry four or five girls, rather than all of us carrying one or two.. but that never happens.

So there I am, watching the cars show up, and the girls start to come out. As they spread out, I'm watching them, looking for my daughter, when my eye gets grabbed by this one person. What the heck, I think -- is someone's mother taking this same course? Because there is no way this is a kid -- for starters, she's halfway overflowing the top of her leotard. Plus, she goes to a car, gets in, and drives away. So, when my daughter comes out , I asked her, casually - who was that? Oh, she replied, buckling her seat belt, that's Stacy. She's a senior.

A senior? Senior as in three years older than my daughter?

And suddenly, teen pregnancy sounds a little more immediate to me.

4 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Yeah, some girls today are way more "showing" than I was at that age. I had it all, but I didn't show it all. No way would my mother have let me out of the house "on display" as she called it.

Makes you want to lock her up till age thirty, doesn't it?

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm trying to overcome that thought. Though all you need to hear is about one boy groping one girl -- and in middle school, yet -- and you wonder what the current model of chastity belts costs.

On display, huh? Graphic image. Now, of course, you're willing to go topless at the library, right? (g)

Lone Chatelaine said...

Heh :)

My sweet little old fashioned mom thought anything other than a moderate cut v-neck top put me "on display". I see some of the wrap around tops that girls wear now and their cut down so low that there's no way a bra could be worn. Fine for when you're older, but not high school girls.

Hmmmm....I'm starting to sound like my mom :-/

Cerulean Bill said...

I have a feeling you still have more than a little hellion in you, LC.