Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Big Doings

Not particularly cheerful ones, though.

For one, our neighbor who was arrested for sex with a minor is apparently up for bail. His wife is asking neighbors to pray for them, or come to a prayer service at their church. I was astounded to find that she's sticking with him. I'm not sure 'for better or worse' covers self-inflicted wounds. Anyway. I was thinking of going. I'm not particularly religious, but I feel so sorry for them that I wanted to do something -- more, perhaps, than the brownies I made and brought over there. The service is at 10AM this Friday.

That happens to be exactly when the funeral service will be held for the brother of one of the girls in my daughter's color guard, who died when he merged onto a highway directly in front of a dump truck, with predictable results. I don't know them, but apparently some of the families are going over.

So that's two events at the same time, neither of which do I particularly want to go to, and both of which I feel as if I ought to go to. Plus, its drizzling, and a couple of other what the hell? things are going on, not nearly as climactic but still distracting. Gonna be an interesting day.

7 comments:

African Kelli said...

I am not a fan of divorce and think that as a culture we rush to this "solution" far too often. That said? There would be no choice for me in this situation. I am praying for HER.

Sweeti said...

I'd pray for her to see the light and for him to get his just due.

I struggle with this one due to a long time friend now accused of the same thing and more than likely guilty.
I can't be friends any longer...its wrong, its hurtful to a child and family, and my heart aches that I didn't see it coming some how. Not that I could change it but, actually see him for what he was.
He's dead in my book and can rot his lifetime in jail for all I care.

Now I'm finding it hard to mourn his loss, knowing full well I'm the one that will suffer from it by harboring ill feelings, Still, I can't forgive him for this.
The children were his own grand kids. It's un-imaginable!

Cerulean Bill said...

Unfortunately, its all too imaginable. When my daughter was very young, and we were giving her the 'stranger danger' talks, I told her that if anyone - even me - did something that made her uncomfortable, she should tell someone. Telling her that made me uncomfortable, but it emphasized that she should trust her instincts. I wonder sometimes if she remembers those conversations.

Sweeti said...

Those kinds of chats usually ingrain themselves into our brains, being so out of the ordinary and scary so to speak for a child, yes, I'll bet she remembers it vividly.
I wish every child had some talk to them like that.

Faye said...

I have to say that I cannot understand why women stick with a man who is a sexual predator...to me there are some "deal-breakers" in a marriage...this would be on the top of my list!!!

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, this is a very sweet, very religious woman. She obviously hopes she can make it work.

Unknown said...

Not being the praying sort, I'd go to the funeral for the kid. He made a mistake, and paid for it.

The other one - well, praying for absolution is a purely selfish act. Getting others to pray for that you're found innocent - that's exploitation. One thing I've noticed about sex crimes prosecutions: they're usually carefully done, and they often stick.

Other than that - the guy's wife has her own demons to keep her company. Supporting her is not the same as supporting him, but going to a prayer for him is supporting him.

Carolyn Ann