Saturday, September 13, 2008

Walking and Watching

We went for a walk this morning, but instead of our normal lope through the neighborhood (I'm getting to know some of the shrubbery on a first-name basis), we went over to a local park, where, as it happened, they were having soccer games for really little girls -- they looked like second graders, if that. It was fun to watch (Was our daughter ever that young? I asked my wife. No, she replied, firmly. Smaller.) especially as these kids were well into the oh here comes a ball, what am I supposed to do with it? mode. Of course, every time a kid even touched a ball, there was a chorus of Good job! from the assembled parents, and if the kid actually got it into the goalie-less net, it was time to notify David Beckham that he might want to just retire right now and not face the humiliation in a couple of years.

It was fun.

4 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Watching little kids play sports and games can really make a person realize how we get caught up so needlessly in negative things. My little 5 year old nephew sang in the children's choir at church this week. It was pretty adorable.

Cerulean Bill said...

You can't just stand and watch (well, a woman can; a guy can't), but I had my wife, so it was okay. And yes, those kids were pretty great.

Narie said...

My 5 year old daughter just started her very first soccer practice last week and it was a lot of fun watching her. I can't wait for the games hehe.

As an aside, hello there! I've been around all this time, reading your blog when time allows. I meant to reply to your post asking my whereabouts but time just escaped me. It's been a bit of a rough year but getting better, just insanely busy. Thanks for the concern :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, I missed you! Glad to have you back....