Monday, July 09, 2007

Feeding Cats

Our neighbors, a pleasant family that moved here from Kansas about five years ago, are on vacation this week. They asked if our daughter would feed their cat; also, give it some medicine. They said that the medicine shouldn't be difficult, though one, a pill that you have to get the cat to swallow, could be tricky.

My daughter knew, but neither I nor my wife knew, that this cat is about twenty pounds and not declawed.

We all are thinking of getting T Shirts that say I Gave Blood At The Neighbors House... and my wife, the most amenable of people, muttered darkly Never again.

4 comments:

genderist said...

Wow.

We wouldn't have left if the cat was still on meds. I can see asking someone to make sure there's food and water, but to wrestle them down and stick a PILL down their throat? That's just mean.

Are they at least paying her something?? I hope so.

We found that if you get a large bath towel and wrap them up like a burrito before you start to try to give them the pill, it's somewhat easier. That at least gets their paws out of the way - especially if they're still connected to CLAWS!

Cerulean Bill said...

They aren't mean people, they really aren't. I think they just didn't realize what a hassle it could be. Its one thing if its your pet...

Paying? Don't think so, though they'll likely bring some kind of gift.

The towel -- my daughter had her arms around the cat, and had just handed it over to me. My wife was headed toward me with one in her hands, when I got hit. I thought I was calming it, it wasn't hissing any more -- and it abruptly hissed, writhed --how can anything that fat move that fast?-- and slashed my arm.

Next time, if there IS a next time, leather gloves, leather jacket, chaps, boots, faceshield, and a whip. And Mace.

Rach said...

Been there, done that and have scars to prove it as well. I should hope the owners bring your daughter something extra special for the trouble.

Cerulean Bill said...

Probably something like jelly from Maine, that kind of thing. Its okay, really. If you knew these people, particularly the wife, you'd understand -- they weren't trying to trick us.

Course, I HAVE been offering to go over there with a curare-tipped arrow...