Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Crafty

One of my friends is a painter. She came to it late in life, after a career as a programmer and general techie. She's good enough at it that people will pay money to buy her works. I look at what she's painted, and I admire the energy -- but as for the work itself, I just don't get it. I think I have a too-literal view of the world to be able to appreciate a piece which isn't about something. Even the couple of abstracts that we have here at home are clearly something -- the one here in the bedroom, for example, is clearly a skyline, even if it is mostly blurred colors and reflections.

I was thinking about this while looking at the Etsy site, which is intended for people to be able to buy and sell (guess that's repetitive and redundant) hand-made crafts. I've never really understood hand-made crafts. I have them, ones that I made when I was a kid, but to me, thats where crafts usually have their place -- with kids. If you're really good at it, then its a business -- the woman who makes the polished wood and stained glass boxes that I saw in Sedona; the one who sold hand-made woolen capes in Maine. Occasionally, its someone who does it for their own pleasure, and occasionally sells one.

But people who make jewelry out of what looks like scraps of wood, bits of dull metal? I don't get that. I think that part of that is why I don't get diamonds, either. To me, they're just polished stones -- pretty, but in no way worth a great deal of money. Crafts are nice, and I'm pleased for the people who enjoy them, and impressed by their energy and creativity -- but as for getting it? Seeing the underlying magic in found-object sculptures and the like? Thinking them worth more than an approving nod, then moving on? Count me out.

Guess I'm a Philistine, hmmm?

No comments: