Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Enthusiasm

My daughter's enthusiasm for the painting has abated significantly, and we haven't even wet the first brush yet. She's dismayed by the sheer volume of things that we're pulling out from behind the large pieces of furniture that are now in the center of the room -- dismayed by how many she had to figure out whether she wants or not; dismayed by how many she can't defend, and which will therefore get thrown away; dismayed by how many she will have to take back out of boxes when we're done and put back on shelves and walls. If we play our cards right, the vast majority of the stuff will remain in boxes after the room is reassembled late next week, to be later migrated to the storage room, and thence to the trash. And that makes us enthusiastic.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Aww, I feel for her. My girls have so many things/toys/crafts and such piled and tucked in various places, but they just have to much and there's not enough storage for it all. I am so tempted to chuck it all .. but at least have been able to sort through and toss outgrown things. The secret 'horder' in me wouldn't really just chuck it.

Cerulean Bill said...

My wife is a hoarder. The first year we were married, the township came around for spring cleanup, and she put out a couple of boxes. By the time I was done asking her, there were about seven.

I don't mind keeping stuff, but figurines from kindergarten? I can't see that.