Saturday, July 07, 2007

Conversations

I was talking with my wife about the commentary regarding Bush's commutation of Libby's sentence; specifically, the observations that the statements of Hillary Clinton, in specific, and the entire Democratic contingent, in general, could be discounted, if not ignored entirely, because Bill Clinton had pardoned Marc Rich -- the idea being, well, he did it, so whats the big deal? To which she replied: And if the other candidates jumped off a bridge, would you jump, too? Which to my mind is exactly right -- this is a juvenile exercise in blame-tossing, and if the stakes weren't so high, it'd be laughable. Pointing out that Clinton was on his way out, so it didn't really matter, is invalid. Pointing out that Bush had the power to commute or pardon anyone he wants, so it doesn't really matter, is invalid. What each of them did was wrong.

Last night, we three were in the kitchen, talking about something, and I found myself just watching my daughter. She's obviously into her teen years now -- she moves with more grace, speaks with more assurance -- and though she's still got a bit of the kid around her, she's leaving that behind. I'm impressed with her, and I find myself wondering How did we do that? I know that our job isn't done, but its comforting to see how well she's turning out.

I gave Symantec's Save and Restore product another try yesterday, completely uninstalling and reinstalling the suite -- right there is a reason not to go with integrated products -- and after an hour of futzing around, including intermittently losing and regaining internet access, it still didn't work. I spent about fifteen minutes hunting around the Symantec website for a contact email --they were more than willing to let me do a phone call at some number of dollars per minute -- I finally found one, and send the note off. Last night I got the automated acknowledgement. Wonder how that conversation will turn out?

And speaking of conversations: I see where a college girl got Paris Hiltons old cell phone number, with the result that she had some interesting conversations before she figured it out. Wonder what I'd do in such a case? Probably say Uh... a lot, I suspect.

Thus endeth this soliloquy. (Hey, a soliloquy is a form of a conversation, right?)

4 comments:

Tabor said...

Congratulations on having such a good relationship with your teenage daughter. Not everyone is so lucky!
And I agree with you that neither Bush nor Clinton have much srength on the ethical bar!!

Cerulean Bill said...

I figure I'm just lucky...but I'll take all the credit I can get!

Rach said...

Daughters can be difficult to raise .. what with their hormones, emotions and such. But to be able to look and absorb all that she has become and actually LIKE that person .. it does all go back to the parents, and her upbringing. You do so get alot of credit .. so take it. ;)

Cerulean Bill said...

When I was growing up, my mother says now, my father would say OUR son if he was proud of me, and YOUR son if he was mad at me. I never noticed, at the time. But now, with some general exceptions, I try to be sure my daughter always, always, always hears OUR daughter.

Until it comes time for her to pay for our nursing home. Then it was 'Dad always loved you best, you know....'