Tuesday, July 31, 2007

ClutterNut

I am not a big fan of clutter . I freely acknowledge that your 'pile of old newspapers' is my 'but I was going to read that' stack. I know that my pile of 'old and treasured Star Trek novels' is your 'dusty books that you don't even look at any more'. I still have a folder in the library of articles that I'm reading; said folder is about eight months old, now. I know that I need to clean that up.

Nevertheless, when I went down to the utility cabinet in the storage room to find some sandpaper, so that I could sand where I'd patched my daughter's room's walls in preparation for the great painting foray (where my fondest dream is simply that paint not get tracked on the carpet or up the hall), I didn't expect to find what I did. I knew there was a lot of stuff in there -- usually, things we bought that we might need again, so we didn't want to throw it away. And as there's only five shelves in that cabinet, but considerably more things that fall into that distinction, they tend to get mixed together. I did know that. And I knew that we had a fair number of brushes, too.

I did not know that we had (estimates only):

twenty thin model-type paintbrushes
four moderately large brushes
three foam edging brushes
three roller covers

all in addition to the one brush and three roller covers that I'd bought when I got the paint. And I didn't know that we had (estimates only):

one roll of painters tape
one roll of mounting tape
two rolls of wrapping tape
two rolls of sealling tape
one roll of strapping tape
two rolls of god-knows-what-but-its-brown tape
three rolls of electrical tape

also in there.

And lets not forget the four or five paint stirrers, and the bag of discarded electrical covers, and the chain bolt, under which - finally- I found the sandpaper.

We really need to clean up that cabinet.

No comments: