Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Talking to the Cutter

I met with the plastic surgeon who's going to do the bone graft. Very serious, almost dour person, but he said the right things, made this sound like, if not trivial, at least something that he's comfortable doing.

They'll take the bone from the top of the iliac crest, which he was careful to tell me was not a weight-bearing portion of bone, though apparently it is where some tendons are attached. He essentially peels the attachments off, cuts away a slide of bone, and hands it over the sterile screen to the oral surgeon, who will have been prepping my jaw to receive it, then the plastic surgeon reattachs the tendon connections to the bone, and thats it. He said I'd have some soreness there for a while, possibly a bit of a limp for about a week, but nothing that regular pain medication can't handle. And then we get to wait for about four months to see if the graft takes.

If the limp is bad enough, wonder if I can get a walking stick? Not one of those lame ones you see in the drugstore, but one with a silver head and a sword inside? That'd be cool, I think....

No comments: