Friday, June 22, 2007

Political Thoughts

I'm not in a particularly chipper mood, at the moment.

I admit, this is going to sound silly, but -- I finished reading The Sinister Pig just a bit ago, and now I'm thinking about power politics, and how the political environment spawns people who protect themselves first. I have in mind, too, that article about Cheney, who I think is not to be trusted -- and who obviously is trusted by the guy who got us into Iraq, who keeps vetoing stem cell research bills, who won't accept limits on his imperial power, denies global warming. Both of them make me ashamed of my country, and Cheney sickens me. When it gets to the point where I actually don't find it all that implausible that his boss would declare the next federal elections cancelled, for the good of the country.... I'm pretty close to that now -- then I'm about ready to give up on these guys. And yet there are still people who support him. Amazing. Just frippin' amazing.

Life in Cheney's head must be pretty bleak, I think.

Mixed in there somewhere is boredom with retirement, I think. I miss working, and I wonder: do I miss it, or do I just miss having someplace to go, something to do?

No comments: