Sunday, June 17, 2007

NOMW

Why does the phrase 'Not on my watch' sound comforting? Or is it just me?

I came across it just a moment ago while glancing at an ad for an organization with that name (actually, 'Not On Our Watch). It announced that it was founded by the producer of the Oceans Thirteen movie (who, I guess, has something to prove to the world, after foisting that on it), and 'select actors'. I thought 'Not on my watch' -- sounds like its supposed to evoke the image of a grim, relentlessly moral organization thats going to Keep Things Right, or Make Things Right, or something like that.... probably won't, though. Probably just another self-indulgent bunch of Hollywood blowhards with way too much money.

All of that, from a four second glance at an ad in the New York Times Magazine, before I flipped the page.

So, is it just me?

2 comments:

Narie said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19461087/

Just ran across this article.

Cerulean Bill said...

Nice that they did that. About the equivilent of me giving, oh, a hundred dollars or so, but its still a nice gesture. And its more than I've done.

I guess, as I think about it, there isn't anything that crew, specifically, or actors, generally, could do to make me think well of them. Ironically, if they did, it'd be quiet, and I'd never hear of it.

Still won't waste time on O13, though, especially now that I know that my local library has the DVD set of West Wing.