Sunday, June 17, 2007

Islamic London

I came across an article this morning on the Timeout: London site entitled "Is London's Future Islamic? ..I had read, in a couple of other places, about Islam and London, as well as Islam and Britain, which said that that religion is pretty well entrenched there, though in a way that forms a separate culture rather than an integrated one. These articles were sparked specifically by the attacks in the London Tube (and the one bus), and they sought to explain how that could come to pass in a society that had made itself so welcoming to people of that faith.

The article grabbed my attention because it started with a vision of an alternate history future for London: one in which the city is a theocracy, and where public executions on the mall, "now known as The Way of the Martyrs", are common. That part of the article is short, but it speaks directly to part of the Islamic mythos that frightens and perplexes me. Its difficult to accept that there are people who accept that their religion requires that level of enforcement and punishment; that there are people who think that this is a worthy thing. I don't know enough about Islam to know whether there are many people who have this level of fervent commitment, but that there are people like that in the world now is apparent. And that scares me. I have to admit, if I thought it would only happen in places where I'm not likely to go, it'd be an item of passing interest, roughly like noting that every so often, a tourist gets eaten by a wild animal on the Serengeti. But since some of these fervent people would delight in making me subject to those same rules, or blowing me up if I'd just as soon not be subject -- it disconcerts me, to put it mildly.

The article, however, goes on to say that its a long, long step from where London is now to that bleak future (perhaps they'd not consider it bleak ?). Its important to understand that Islam is quite prevalent in Britain now, and it's presence is benefiting British society; further, if it did happen that Islam became the predominant and ruling religion, multiple good things would happen (or at least could happen, assuming the then-rulers adhered to the tenets of their faith). The society would actually become a more tolerant, better educated, and healthier pace. There is much to like about the Islamic faith, and the article lays much of it out.

So whats not to like? Other than being the main player in the occasional public execution, that is.

4 comments:

Narie said...

if it did happen that Islam became the predominant and ruling religion, multiple good things would happen (or at least could happen, assuming the then-rulers adhered to the tenets of their faith).

The thing is, they never do do they? Adhere to the tenets of their faith. That goes for just about every religion out there.

Honestly, if it weren't for our founding fathers having the foresight to protect us from the crazies out there, I can't say the U.S. would be a bastion of freedom either. The far right wing conservative Christians scare the hell out of me honestly.

I often get the feeling in your posts that you feel Christianity is a more refined religion, or more tolerant, educated, less barbaric maybe is the word I am looking for?

As an atheist, all religions kinda scare me. Christianity, to me, is just as dangerous as any other religion out there. I'm just lucky enough to live in a country that has some safeguard's in place. Safeguards that are being eroded by this Administration to be sure, but safeguards nonetheless.

Imagine a country in which the likes of Jerry Fallwell and his ilk actually made policy and enforced it.

Any time you have a religion forced on you even though you don't believe in it, it makes things uncomfortable for you. Even in a country like the US, not being Christian, I run into so many uncomfortable situations I can't even count. Especially now that I have children.

I think it's hard for Christians to understand that, because most I've met inherently believe their religion is a good one. I'm sure the Muslims believe the exact same thing. For people like me, it's all the same, if that makes sense?

Cerulean Bill said...

Hi --

I'm not ignoring your note -- it impressed me enough that I want to think about it a bit. Can't promise the response won't come out sounding like a quick note anyway, but I want to at least try.

I'll likely post it as a new entry.

Narie said...

Re-reading my comment, I think it may have come off as more aggressive/offensive than I intended it to. So I certainly hope I didn't offend because that wasn't my intention. I enjoy reading your blog immensely and it often makes me think in a different way.

I think one thing I didn't get across was that I do believe most average Christians and most average Muslims are good people. I only know 4 actual Muslims mind you, but they are all lovely people and my entire family are Christians.

I also didn't mean to imply that Christianity was an inherently bad religion. Just that any belief that you don't believe in, when forced upon you or your children, then has some seriously bad connotations to it for you.

I just kind of identified with the subject matter of your post quite a lot. I certainly, and quite thankfully, have not and hopefully will never be up on the execution block just for not being Christian, those days of Christianity are long gone luckily, but they did exist at one time just like with Islam.

I think it's just, a lot, I mean a lot of Christians I encounter, who would abhor having another religion pushed on them have no problem doing it to people that don't believe in religion at all. I've seen firsthand and all too often how easy it is for people to slide that slippery slope of inherently believing their religion is so right and good that they will use otherwise unethical means to try and force it on others.

Either way, it's a subject that is really hard to describe to Christians without offending them, so I hope I didn't offend you in my response :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Narie who? (g)

Seriously, no, you did not