Thursday, June 14, 2007

Stray Thoughts

Blogger needs a client-side interface, so that you can prepare a post, spell check and whatnot, and only then do an upload. I sometimes kind-of do this by writing the post in Notepad, and I know there is a Firefox extension (used to be called Performancing, changed to something else now) that sort-of did it, though the interface was shaky.

I am waiting to hear back from the company I interviewed with. I'm assuming that they won't offer, which will be more okay than not, because I'm getting into doing things that ease our life, even if they don't earn any money -- such as, I'm going to do the weekly grocery run tomorrow, during the day; this afternoon I took the pet to the vet, meaning that my wife didn't have to interrupt what she was doing.

But that doesn't mean I've stopped thinking about work -- I have this tendency to see how things should be better, which is almost always an idealistic view of the world, but every so often is actually practical. Not easy, not simple, possibly not even remotely achievable by me. But since I'm a little of a dreamer, and since one of the dreams I've always liked, other than the one about me and the Danish Womens Soccer Team, is that it really is possible to do a job that's what you'd like to do. You'll probably not grow rich, probably not make enough to live on, possibly not make anything, the article in this past week's Washington Post magazine about the woman who has a company that makes half a million dollars a year writing newsletters notwithstanding, but if thats not a requirement, then yeah, you just might be able to. I found this article, incidentally, of interest in that regard.

I need to do a little thinking about how to track these ideas, make them at least concretely stated. Though my definition of concrete might amaze the guys at Al's Cement Works. So, I am going to occasionally write them here. You have been warned.

2 comments:

Rach said...

There's the draft option that I use quite often. I actually like that blogger implemented the automatic save too! I've lost many posts because of blogger freezing up .. but it's all good now!

Cerulean Bill said...

Yes, I agree -- that does help. I think its sort of a implicit statement that they can't guarantee the availability of the network, just because.... but I still think a client side would be better. Bein' picky, I guess....