Thursday, June 07, 2007

Monologue

This is going to be a dull post. You have been warned.

The pivotal point in discussions with my prospective employee is going to revolve around how much time I'm at home. I have been casting around to find some way of saying this, without saying it: I want to be at home either a) two or more days per week, or b) two or more weeks per month. Which is to say, I'm willing to travel three days per week, on average, or up to two solid weeks per month. More than that takes me away from home too much, and I don't want that. I'm willing to take employment with them as a part time job, where I travel more per month but am employed less per year, just so I can be at home and available more often.

I'm going to be honest with them, but I don't want to be too honest, if you know what I mean. And lurking always in my mind, to the point where I may tell them, is that I once took employment with a company that I really liked, which had asked the same question "Bill, are you okay with travel?",and I said yes, thinking that hey, I've traveled for work, no problem. I completely didn't realize that they meant travel every week, most of the week. I just couldn't do that. Its why I quit, though I really liked them.

I don't want to fall into that trap again. I'll pass on the job if I have to. My advantage is that they want me (I think). My disadvantage is, they're not salivating to get me.

Good thing I don't have to take the job, eh?

2 comments:

Rach said...

I hope they're relaxed enough to give you what you want.

And I couldn't help but giggle at your 'eh'. ;)

Cerulean Bill said...

I'd like to be more definite about what I want, but I'm not a pushy guy, and not all that good at negotiations. I tend to stake out the lower end of what I want. My wife suggests going about ten percent high on salary, and backing down as needed to compensate for my desire not to be away too often. I'll likely do that.

The nice part is, I really don't have to take the job. I can stay home full time if I want. It'd mean a little more awareness of what we spend, but nothing outrageously restrictive. And this past week has reminded me of how useful it is to be able to take care of things during the week. This morning I weeded the front landscaping area, finished mowing the lawn, and went to the library; this afternoon I put up a storage rack we've been talking about off and on for months. It's nice to have that done, and losing another one to two years of savings might well be worth the improvement to our general lifestyle.

Remind me of that when I'm old and shivering in the dark, eating generic cat food, will you?